[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Champion in shelter

  • From: "Shadara - Trudy Roundy" <shadara@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Pat Lukos'" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 15:04:13 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Lukos [mailto:targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx]
The blame IMHO goes to the person who turned the dog in and did not contact
the breeder. As a breeder, most of us have very explicit contracts but it is
sometimes only in situations such as this that a breeder finds out about a
dog she bred.

I agree... the owner is at fault but if I were the breeder I would hate to
have this spread across the internet without the facts being known.  From
what I understood the owner was leaving her husband so

her circumstances may have changed quickly.  Unfortunately people don't
always think things through when they are under stress and don't always do
the right thing or react appropriately.  It's a bad situation all around.

This is at least the 3rd show dog that Last Hope has found in kill shelters

in just a few months.  The one show dog is still under the care and

protection of a Last Hope member.

When I was working for Last Hope at the GL futurity in the monsoons last

week, I can't tell you how many people from this show list came up and gave

me encouraging words and donated for the auction.  It was a great way to

meet some new friends.  I don't know if many people realize how much that

means....many said that they didn't know how we did it (and we can't explain

how we do it sometimes *grin*); on another note, there were people that

turned a blind eye to our efforts and it is very sad to see this because we

are to be the Guardians of the Breed.

I think every breed rescue is concerned about the number of dogs that they
are having to save.

It's not a problem unique to GSD's.  I admire those that are emotionally
able to do rescue work.

It's not a job that most can do for long.  I have friends that do a lot of
rescue work and I don't know

how they do it.....but I am grateful that they can and do.

Most breeders do their best to make sure that it never happens to one of
their kids.  People don't always live up to their contracts, they move away,
things happen and no matter have careful you are. unless you spay or neuter
everything or never breed...It can happen to the best of us.

Trudy Roundy