[ SHOWGSD-L ] CONCERNS FOR THE FUTURE - DAVID FRITSCHE

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

CONCERNS FOR THE FUTURE

I am concerned for the future of our sport. As we approach the
election, I am concerned that we not elect a board based on past
issues, personality conflicts of the past, or force of personality. We
need to shake ourselves and pay attention to some of the signs of a
gathering storm before us. We need people of vision and leaders who
can innovate for the future.

Here are some of the signs:
1. Entries continue to decline in our conformation shows.
This is not true of all venues however. Agility, rally, herding and
the working dog sports seem to be increasing in entries and members.
2. Airplanes are getting smaller and are requiring us to limit
luggage. Cargo space is at a premium and in far too many airplanes,
they simply can't get a carrier in. Travel with dogs is changing and
we may be powerless to get the whole industry to change just for our
dog shows.
3. Animal rights legislation continues to create confusion and an
anti-breeder sentiment in our land. It is already illegal to have an
intact dog in some of the places we go for shows. We risk, at some
point, a confrontation with local authorities at our shows.
4. Our society is changing and is increasingly losing touch with our
American agricultural roots. Animal husbandry, including the tending
of the flock with dogs, is something long past in today's culture.
With that change, the city dwellers are increasingly fond of gated
communities without internal fences and of a dog free environment.
5. The economy is not what is once was and increasingly discretionary
spending is dwindling. At the same time, our regional clubs are having
a hard time financially and are raising fees as are many handlers,
simply to cover the cost of having our shows. Those who are hardest
hit by the economy can no longer afford to go and show.
6. A simple look around the ring will tell this story. We are an aging
sport. That is not bad, but sometimes I feel my age too. I wonder
often, how long I should keep going and when it is time to decide that
this is my last dog. Some already have made that decision.
7. Some European nations are now more than 50% committed to mid-east
religions that believe the dog to be unclean. Those belief systems are
gaining tremendous ground in the US as well. It is not a matter of
religious intolerance to understand that as this shift takes place, it
will increasingly affect us.
8. And there are other signs, (add your own observations) that clearly
spell out challenges to our club and the sport we have enjoyed.

In the next election, we need to look for those who have a perception
of the future and have the will to tackle it. We need to consider some
changes. I would like to suggest.

1. That we clearly refocus our GSDCA identity. We are not the GSDCA
Conformation Only Club. We are the German Shepherd Club and represent
the breed in the US and all of the venues that present the abilities
of this great breed. We need to, with that refocused identity, find
ways to embrace those segments of the breed that seem separate, feel
as though they have no representation (although clearly they can also
participate in the political side of things), and make sure that we
are not tunnel- visioned to only one segment of the German Shepherd
Dog. That is not a charge that we have been mono-focused officially,
but we need a concentrated effort to embrace each venue and to see
that they are represented on the board.

No, we should not allow one segment to take over and there are rumors
that some might want to do so. That is not the point. We need to keep
the central focus of the club and not lose our history or traditions,
but we also need to recognize the activity shift that is taking place
with our dogs.

2. Consider reducing the size of our board and the meeting profile.
While I agree that meeting in one place face to face is a better
setting and gives an atmosphere for better discussions and a better
flow of information, having a 'go-to-meeting' video link up is
technological possible these days and would serve to save a lot of
time, money and wear and tear on board members at least once a year. I
am also not convinced that more board members are better able to do
business than less. If we had 9 members, as we have regions, I think
we would get the job done quite well. While the GSDCA is not hurting
financially, 'yet,' it might be wise to consider the possibility that
we might not always be in that position. Remember, there was once a
company called General Motors. So far, we have not been offered
'bail-out' funds.

3. We simply MUST deal with the legislative onslaught taking place in
our country. I confess, I do not have the answer. But we must either
fight them, or wave the white flag. They are not going away, and their
fanatical fervor seems to be growing, even in publically elected
officials. If they stamp out dogs, as some say is their ultimate
agenda, then none of the above matters. Then I'll go quietly to my
room, in the old folk's home and await my fate. In the mean time, the
GSDCA along with AKC and the entire pet and hobby world have to rise
up and fight back with fundraising, ads, proposed legislation and
everything else our enemies have used against us. What, 'enemies' too
strong a word? I don't know about you, but when anyone comes to take
my dogs or to neuter them against my will or to determine for me what
and why and where and how I should pursue this simple pursuit of
happiness, they are my enemy!!!

This is far too long.. But I have more..
I'll shut up for now!

Please, elect those who can look to the future and take bold action to
make the adjustments we may need to make now, rather than in reaction
to the storm after it is here.

Dave

Morgan and His Angels
Precious, OFA