[ SHOWGSD-L ] A Gathering Storm. David Fritsche

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

A Gathering Storm.
It appears that there are a lot of reasons why people will be voting
in this coming election, and I suppose none of them are invalid. That
is the wonder of democracy - it is a wonder that anything gets done.
<g> It is a terrible system of government, but it is better than all
of the rest (or something like that)!

I've served on the board for the past two years and have enjoyed it
immensely. I turned some aquaintences into good friends and found a
good group of people, trying as best they could, within the flaws and
frailties of the human race, to do the right thing, usually with
incomplete information. That is, we did not know it was incomplete
until after the meetings. So, by and large, it was a good thing for
me.

I am not running again, and there are several reasons.
1. Several came to me and shared a complaint, not their own but
communicating for others, that my writing for the Review gave me name
recognition and an unfair advantage in the election. Well, this has
been an issue for years, far before my coming onto the board, and the
argument has some merit. If someone is published in the Review right
before the election, it might influence those who do not know anyone
who is running and need to just mark their "X".  On the other hand, it
makes those who contribute in working for the club the most,
ineligible for the board. That is sort of like dumming down the board
to keep the playing field level. Reminds me of our National Government
at times.  But this is not a major issue with me, for the pen is
mightier than the board. And who knows. I serve monthly at the request
of the Review Editor, who will at some point in time, want to do
something different. I am not secured to that either.
2. The economy has hit us hard in Reno, and I am not immune. When I
retired from my profession, I started work building houses. Right! Bad
idea. While Reno became the fastest growing city in the US for a long
period, it is now suffering the most. I've been out of work for over a
year, and there is no prospects for that to change soon. So, frankly,
I cannot afford to serve on the board.
3. I hate airplanes. No, I am not afraid to fly, I just hate the 10 to
14 hours it takes to get from where I live to the meeting. Endless
hours setting on the less than comfortable seats in airports, rushing
from gate to gate, eating delicious (NOT) airport food and then being
packed into little sardine containers that say "airplane" on the side,
is not my idea of glory!
4. I am unnecessary. The beauty of our club is that the real power is
in the hands of the committee members, breeders, exhibitors and judges
who do the stuff. Any power that is attributed to the board is largely
an illusion. These people go to a meeting, listen to committee reports
and motions from the committees and then close the weekend with a few
minutes given to 'New Business." Usually there is little or none, and
then we are on our way home, back in the sardine process.
5. The greatest influence in the club is in the hands of those who
express themselves. We have means available to bring influence,
including the email addresses of the entire board, the phone numbers
of the board, the committee chairs that always report to the board,
and the two lists that are usually not silent when there is an issue.
This is as it should be. The members do speak, influence and they are
heard. The change in the Hunt vote came by outside influence and that
was appropriate. Right or wrong, we can speak, even shout, and be
heard. I shall once again join with the non-board members, and shall
continue to influence and speak out.

Morgan and His Angels
Precious, OFA
Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award