[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breed specific legislation

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: granbergkm@xxxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:41:50 -0800 (PST)

I am a dog trainer and breeder of German Shepherds in Florida.

  Breed specific legislation DOES NOT WORK.  First, the dogs you want to
legislate into a corner are not bad dogs.  I have trained all of them.  It is
owners who either do not train and socialize, or worse train for biting that
need to be put behind a fence.

  The dogs are usually just as good as any Poodle or Begle you can meet.  I
have had bad dogs in all breeds, including German Shephers, and Poodles.  I
have a small Poodle down the street from me that EVERYONE avoids, he bites.

  But to try to corner any one or 4 breeds is to allow those who would do wrong
by any dog to go to another breed.

  I live next door to a Doberman and a Rotweiller.  I have pet sat for the
owners.  Now these dogs can and will bite if a stranger come into their
backyard.  But when introduced by the owners, they are annoyingly friendly.

  So, reconsider what you are trying to do.  Ask trainers and breeders what
would work, they know.  Look for people with reputations of consistent work and
production of dogs.  Meet dogs of the breeds you fear and learn about them.

  If not one breed, another will be mis used for ill gotten gains.  We are
dealing with humans after all.
  Sheila Lieberman
  Loving Obedience
  305-772-3647

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.