[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breed Wardens

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

the truth will set you free!...excellent...Ed
grnram415@xxxxxxx wrote:  Breed Wardens will only be effective when breeders
subscibe to the theory that it is a good thing and embrace it as a way to
improve our American line GSD's.  That ain't gonna happen.  Breed Wardens do
nothig to prevent BYB or puppy millers.  These are folks who could care less
about the Standard.  However, there is a mis-conception about BYB'ers.  They
are NOT 90% responsible for the shelter animals.  Most BYB  breed to let
their kids experience the miracle of birth and because they think their
dog/bitch will produce nice dogs.  They usually have buyers (neighbors and
friends) to take these pups when they are old enough.  They usually give the
pups away or advertise in local papers and money is not the issue.  Look at
the REAL problem.  Volume breeders and puppy mills.  There are volume GSD
breeders right here in CA.  There are even puppy mills.  These folks will
continue to be exempt due to their kennel licenses.  They will still
 crank out pups and contribut
e to the overpopulation, while the hobby/show breeder dies.  How on earth will
a Breed Warden prevent this situation?
It goes back to policing ourselves if we want improvement in our breed.  If
Judges continue to put up spooks, lifting/paddling fronts, no shoulder and
wobbly rears, nothing will change. When Judges start putting up correct dpgs,
regardless of the owner or handler, and the correct dog becomes more popular
than the dog of the day/month/year, then maybe we can improve our breed they
way it should be.

Lead suit on so go ahead and flame me.  But don't deny there is a problem in
our breed.

Laura Thomas