[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breed Wardens

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: lollark@xxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, grnram415@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:45:23 +0000

I can tell you from travelling in Germany and Holland that we saw NO loose
animals anywhere.  No dogs and no cats.  When I asked in Holland I was told
that there was a problem with feral cats [didn't see a single one] but no stray
dogs.

I know in Belgium that spay/neuter for anything other than a medical reason is
almost totally unheard of and considered cruelty.  "If you can't control your
pet's breeding without surgery you don't need a pet!"  Most that I've talked
with consider Americans totally irresponsible with their animals for untrained
and unrestrained animals.

Having worked in the 'industry' for 18 years I know that less than ten percent
[10%] of all animals euthanized are purebreds.  Most of those are due to health
or behavorial issues - either biting or house soiling.  IN THE ATLANTA AREA,
yYoung, healthy, purebreds are snapped up by the rescues in our area and hugh
adoption fees are attached.  Where our county fee was less than $80.00 for a
fully vetted, vaccinated, HW negative, and altered animal most of the area
rescues will take that same animal [that we've already done all the work on OH,
and wanted it at a discounted price] and will charge adoption fees of anywhere
from two to five hundred dollars.
Then they list it on pet finders that they've SAVED this poor animal from
euthanasia after we'd already spent all that money getting them ready for
adoption.

The majority of animals euthanized are feral cats [over 50%] and mixed breed
dogs - not F1 crosses but free ranging mixed breeds.
Those animals [dogs] usually come form low income areas or areas of feral cat
colonies that have exploded and caused multiple complaints form area residents.
 This is where the problem lies - not in responsible pet owners or even BYBs OR
puppy mills [although those 10% purebreds usually come from the mills].  If we
could come up with a solution to alter free roaming animals - put out bait
[oral alter meds] to stop the ferals and free roaming from reproducing our
problem would be solved in ONE generation.

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD TC CGC BH, Helios, Ch Flair, Tess
[150 PLUS ROM points/40 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner] and
all the others waiting at the bridge.  Website updated 06/07

From: lollark@xxxxxxx