[ SHOWGSD-L ] Brain surgery

  • From: "GrnRam415@xxxxxxx" <grnram415@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 18:14:04 -0400 (EDT)

Excellent point!  My Brandy loves everyone.  She's never met a threat and I am
training her for therapy work.  She knows people at dog functions all have food
in their pockets and will give her pets.  And, yes, she has kissed judges.  For
those reasons, I thought she would fail her TC at the weird stranger.  She did
not fail.  She went to the end of that lead and watched and evaluated.  I gave
her as much lead as she wanted until she hit the mark she wasn't supposed to
cross.  She didn't bark or growl or have hackles up.  But, she kept that
tension and watched that guy until we were done.  Brandy is very in tune with
me and I am sure that had MY reaction been fearful or a real bad guy had
crossed "that line", she would've ripped that lead out of my hand and gone
after the guy.

Discernment is something hard to find in a show ring.  Fearful dogs can be
trained to tolerate ring procedures.  Hard/aggressive dogs can be controlled to
withstand exams.  Personally, I find the TT useless in really evaluating a
dog's temperament.  Too bad we can't find a way to judge dogs outside the ring
and see how they really act.
Laura Thomas