[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Board nominees

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:29:55 -0400

I have a great deal of faith in the voters - the voters are not the problem.
And, the candidates are not the problem.  The problem is the situation that
arises is when there are many candidates, since, by definition in that sort
of scenario, votes get split up among them.

In law school, they often demonstrated points via hypotheticals  So here is
a hypothetical to demonstrate mine:

A is a candidate for office.  He represents a very popular and widely held
point of view, one which is shared by 60% of the electorate.  A is opposed
by B, who represents a minority, unpopular position, one held by 25% of the
electorate.  If the election consisted of only A and B running, the outcome
would be easy to predict, and the outcome would be a democratic one, where
majority rule prevails.

However, C and D also decide to run, and they are all good, honorable and
respected people, having positions similar to that held by A.  Now we have a
potentially dangerous situation.  Since A, C and D are all good and
respected people holding popular positions, there is a very significant risk
that that 60% who agree with all of them will be diffused among the three
for various good reasons.  It is easy to see that if A, C, and D split the
60% of people who agree with ALL of them, each of them gets 20% of the vote,
while B, the person with the minority, unpopular position (the FL in this
case), gets 25% of the vote, and so B wins.. Therefore, the minority /
unpopular view prevails, and the majority view loses, which is never a good
thing, and which would be disastrous for the GSDCA.

Margy Golant