[ SHOWGSD-L ] Blue cheese and Schnapps

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <AKeller97@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:47:44 -0500

"Grossmutter", I shrieked, peering into the refrigerator,
"The cheese in here has blue stuff on it......."
My German Grossmutter walked into the kitchen to see what had caused my
startled exclamation.

"Liebchen, that is only Roquefort and Blue Cheese. It is delicious because it
is made that way naturally using mold spores. We Germans invented moldy
cheeses. I eat them when I am listening to Wagnerian opera or a little Bach
now and again."

(Sometimes Grossmutter claimed that Germans invented almost the best of
everything........ the best dogs, of course, and including the best and loudest
music and the best cheeses.)

Grossmutter continued on.

" Sometimes the Scots invent something worthwhile too, but not as often as we
Germans do, of course.

"A Scot named Sir Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928 in a London
hospital. He found a staphylococcus plate culture had a growth of blue-green
mold on it and the colonies of bacteria adjacent to the mold were being
dissolved by it."

"Well then, Grossmutter",  I replied, "I think we have a Penicillin factory in
our refrigerator. Look at all that blue-green stuff on the cheese.....even the
hard cheddar."

Grossmutter then exploded.

 (In fractured German/English, she "off the handle geflowen".)

Yelling (auf Deutsch...... and I translate.)

"What is the matter with you Liebchen..... did you ever take a skin scrapping
off your hand and look at it under a microscope? Didn't the biology teacher
ever show you what you carry around with you all the time?"

"Bacteria !!  We all carry good and bad bacteria around with us all the time.
And even a clean dry house in Wisconsin will have some mold
spores.........including the refrigerator."

"Yikes", I answered...... "You mean to tell me that I have germs with me all
the time???  Wherever I go?  All the time? Even in Germantown, Wisconsin?"

The Grossmutter smiled that smile at me which was a little stern.

"Liebchen, listen carefully."

"Didn't you look under the microscope? Didn't you see?"

She stared into my eyes and said....

"None of us lives alone".

"If ever you travel anywhere, Iowa or Texas, or whenever and wherever you go,
you do not go alone."

"Everything you saw under the microscope goes with you".

"You worry too much about 'peculiar possibilities' and about things that will
never happen....."

I learned my lesson.

Whenever a person travels to Texas to have a grand time with good friends and
good dogs, a person needs to remember that "none of us lives alone" .......and
a person also needs to remember to take a bottle of Schnapps, a CD of Bach
music, some penicillin and some Roquefort Cheese with them, because there might
not be any Schnapps or mold anywhere in Texas....

And Because Germans drink Schnapps and eat moldy cheese all the time.

:-)

Jane Kerner

"But if ever you need to travel to Texas for a German Shepherd Dog National
Specialty Show, have a really good time, enjoy your friends and all the
beautiful dogs.....and Remember to take some Roquefort, Brie, and Blue Cheese
with you because Texans may not know how good it is. "