[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Big Change in Philadelphia

  • From: AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • To: pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:01:13 EDT

Oops, what did I miss? I was out of pocket for a week and seemed to have
missed an interesting thread that I have developed some opinions on over the
last few years.

I'm still trying to figure out how the GSDCA Board could declare some gsd's
 not gsd's even though their DNA and pedigrees are throughout what the
GSDCA and  AKC considers gsd's. They have competed in AKC performance events,
as
gsd's.

As far as I know there are 3 wgsd organizations, 2 want to stay with the
gsd's and only one wants to separate. Why would a minority fraction be the
decision maker of them?

How exactly does that work when to be recognized as a breed by AKC they
need so many generations of pure lines and they are all intermingled with the
regular gsd pedigrees and DNA?, not to mention the titles of record with
AKC as  gsd's.

Would that mean the  ones with the top winning gsd lines  would not be
allowed into the separated group since they occur in our  group? Does that mean
the ones with our non white gsd's pedigrees would be still  considered gsd's
and the ones without, ( if you could find any of those)  would be something
else?

This is way too confusing for me to figure out. I have judged several
Nationals for several wgsd clubs and their specialities. I did a 180 degree
about face from believing wgsd were mentally deficient mutants to realizing
they  are truly just german shepherd dogs. They are not albinos, they are
required to  have dark eyes, eye rims, nails, many have a faint hue of saddle
pattern, they  call it bisque, I call it very faded saddle pattern. They have
suspension,  fluidity of movement, highly intelligent and aloof mannerisms.
They have  owners that care about them that do DNA testing, cull their lines
and are very  open about the health issues.
They hold shows, they are shown in UKC and compete against b/t's  sometime.
The clubs pattern their guidelines in accordance with  the GSDCA, except
white is not a DQ. They don't seem  prejudged, unlike us, since they show
their B/Ts in stock classes,  that is breeding stock classes. Not too long ago
beautiful moving b/t finished  her ch in AKC, her sire was white. Dona is
her owner and breeder, she was  in the Review a few years ago, but I'm sure
you could see her on Dona's website.

What is it exactly that we are so afraid of in a color? How is that going
to demean or hurt my b/t dogs?
I don't get it, someone tell me how a white color, when a patch white chest
 hair is ok on b/t, can hurt my dogs?

Is it really an issue of the standard could use some updating or a new
breed is formed from thin air? (or thick air really since they are so heavily
invested in our shared gene pool)
Ann Gray

In a message dated 8/1/2011 11:39:24 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

One  thing you all should remember is that not all white GSD people want to
 separate into a new breed. There are more white GSD folks that would
prefer  keeping the dog a GSD vs. separating, both sides did present their
at  the meeting.
Put yourselves in the shoes of the white owners. If the  Board/Club of your
breed was telling you that a coat color that you love and  that helped
create the breed (Horand's grandsire was white) and once was able  to show in
the AKC conformation ring as a GSD (up until the 1960s) and DNA can  prove is
a GSD can now be another breed. How would you feel?
There  are so many reasons why separating the dog is not the right choice:
alienating  members, decline in registrations for the GSD breed, DNA,
genetic diversity,  setting a precedence for other DQs and the list goes on.
The
GSDCA is there to  protect the breed, the whole breed, regardless of personal
opinion and as a  GSDCA member, I felt failed by the board yesterday
regarding the breed I love.  I keep on hearing, "Oh but AKC will decline it."
Pawning it off on the AKC to  make the decision is cowardly, stand up for your
breed and do what's right for  it, don't make another organization make that
decision for you.

Donna