[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ballots, Bios and more Bungling!

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:00:19 -0700

I am personally not in the habit of rewarding a failed expectation if we
realistically desire to change the outcome.  However, it is disturbing to
hear
that  you share a lower expectation of an elected office than many!  So
Dave, I
ask you, WHO is responsible  to see that these issues are corrected and do
not
continue to happen  if NOT, the Corresponding Secretary?

* As I understand it Randy, the ballots were going to be mailed out earlier
than before but were delayed on that schedule by the board or executive
committee so that the language for one of the proposed changes in the
by-laws would be right. I was not privy to that time line or course of
action, I simply know that there was 'stuff' happening and Sharon was
delayed by a week (again, as I understand it, and that might not be the case
in reality at all). She was delayed, she did not delay in mailing the
ballots.

Certainly not the Board as that would  only serve as a conflict of interest
to current members who
are seeking  re-election.  Therefore, I would  infer nobody from your
position.  I  may be mistaken, but your response sounds remarkably like
thinly veiled
 politicking to me

* I am sorry if I came across that way Randy. I am assuming that the vast
majority of the ballots are cast and the election is over. Up until this
past week I have tried to limit my posting because of those possible
perceptions, but I have to admit, when the broad brush of accusation came
toward the recording secretary, I reacted. I usually wait to respond until I
am not reacting and probably should have this time also. I have no desire to
start or enter a list war where no one wins and everyone involved looks less
than sane.... Those are entertaining to a point, but serve no useful
purpose.

I simply could not see how a statistical analysis of problems could lead to
an indictment of the recording secretary. I'll bet she has messed up from
time to time, just like all human beings, but to lay blame for all the ills
of postal services, elections companies et. al. seemed like the old  -
everyone who died in the past six months had admitted eating carrots,
therefore we should blame carrots for their death. Sometimes the question is
wrong! That is, to ask who is wrong may lead to placing responsibility and
fixing the problem, but sometime the real question is WHAT IS WRONG? It may
not lie in a person but in a flawed process. Sometimes you don't need to
fire anyone, but simply change the process. In this case, we set a time line
when the ballots should go out (that has changed from time to time depending
on the problems we experience) and we wrestle with certain factors that we
do not control (Mail services). If we ask who should overcome these
challenges we may simply create a turn over of responsible people
indefinitely, placing them back in the same convoluted process and, as you
admit, achieving, year after year, the same end result.

That being the case I would prefer to ask about the process itself and how
we do the election. If AKC says that we cannot do an electronic election,
then rather than say: That's That - can't be done, - I might say AKC is a
great organization, but they have not always been right (Please don't tell
them I said that), and possibly we should mount a campaign to get them to
step into the 21st century now on this item.

And, I am not sure why we wait until we do to mail out the ballots except
for the gathering of information and publishing it. Possibly the new board
can revolutionize the time line and let the recording secretary mail them
much earlier.

You see Randy, I am not against you! I am on your side of the fence on this.
There is a solution to keep this from happening. I do not think the solution
is found in blaming the person who holds the office, at least in this case.

 and only serves to further reinforce the concept of
mediocrity  and accept continued failure with â??a great big hugâ??!
As to the Canadian Mail Service, many of us have experienced no problem
sending or receiving mail in a timely manner so letâ??s not build any more
excuses
on this premise.
Regards,
Randy Darnell

* If the ballots went out at the same time and they did not arrive in Canada
but did in the U.S. there must be a reason beyond the recording secretary.
Unless we believe that she buried them in her back yard for two weeks so
'those people up there' could not participate - which is not like her at
all. So, I would not call that an excuse but a reason and again, part of a
flawed process rather than an irresponsible person - unless we find the mail
persons who are responsible! <G>

So Randy, it appears we are moving closer to agreement each post. You did
not mention all of the same items that you previously did so the level of
responsibility seems to be more narrowed and specific and I would simply
like to refocus that toward a system, traditional way of doing elections -
the process!!! I'll bet we can find a way around this problem and still love
Sharon! That does not lower the bar and capitulate to mediocrity, but
strives for excellence without sacrificing one hard working lady!

I hope that better underscores what I was trying to say...
And, by the way, by now all the votes are cast and on their way to where
ever they go, - besides, I still think one can have more influence on the
club by working for it and using the list and other means of influence than
by setting on the board.

I like that you want to solve these problems Randy, so please send your
petition to me next year. I'll sign it and support your candidacy for
recording secretary! <G> Peace!
Dave