[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: As I recall

  • From: Louise Cauthen <cauthenl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

This could be a good reason for owners of males to consider collecting their
males - it wouldn't help the owners of females if an illness befell them, but
certainly could be a good back-up for males.

I know a male who lived a very long life and many wanted to use him but by the
time it was realized that his good health potential was of real interest now,
the owner discovered his semen no longer was able to be frozen successfully.
He was still able to sire litters, but his use down the road is no longer a
possibility.

Early collection might be the way of the future.   If a dog then lives a long
healthy life - his semen is there for the using.... collected in his youth
while at it's prime.

Also, having the frozen semen there at the ready, can often ease the grief of
loosing a wonderful companion; or be back-up should they get an awful disease
like Ben's 'Valley Fever' that robs them of their ability to bless your life
with their offspring.
Louise