[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Are You Listening to the Presidents Message?

  • From: "terraf" <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, "show gsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:25:39 -0500

That is something.  We too are seeing dogs turned in because people cannot
afford them.  The middle class is really paying a heavy price.  The vets are
starting to suffer also and raising prices to levels no one can afford.
Last week when I was out in "the field" doing social worker business, I met
an elderly man and his new puppy in a senior living home.  His new puppy was
so cute so I stopped and chatted for a while.  Well he was so proud of the
pup he went into his home to get his papers.  The dog was registered by
another registry.  The paperwork was in order but the vet in our area wanted
to charge him $450 to neuter the pup.  He did not know where he could get
that kind of money.  The county in the area was going to charge him $50 fee
because he was not neutered but only $5 if he was.  You know how your name
is turned in to the state when you get the rabies shot.  Well I advised that
he go to our local animal care and control shelter and get the neutering
done for $50-60.  This senior was so happy.  Makes me so sad that even the
seniors go through this crap.
terra Fairburn
Keggi Fair