[ SHOWGSD-L ] Another plea for compasson

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 02:31:10 EDT

I had received the post below, and recently was asked if there was some way
we could help Tami Howard. The week before she was diagnosed with cancer, she
was fired from her long time job in a pet store. This is a person who has
always  treated others with respect and been a great friend of our breed.
Somehow
she  has kept her sense of humor, can we find a sense of compassion?

It may be because of the recent losses, Jane losing her son, yesterday's
death of Rickie, the fact that we no longer have John and so many others with
us, but I wonder if we can't help one more person in a time of need.  I  know t
hat we are all trying to find the funds for a handler at the national; we  are
shopping for the right outfit for the dinner, some of us won't be in North
Carolina because of finances, we just gave all we could to those in New
Orleans,
 and we all have our own problems, bills to pay, lives to live and worries.
But, Tami is spending too much of her energies worried about finances, buying
 dog food, and surviving on no income.  She needs some peace and  comfort to
help her  fight her battles.

I tried to think of a fund raiser we could do.  Or possibly an auction  with
things people would want.  And then I decided to just ask us all to  send a
check.  I know that is asking a lot right now, but Tami is still  with us and I
want her here to talk to us for the future. If by a sacrifice now  we can give
her some tranquility, we should do it.  It is not for us to get  anything, it
is not so that we can brag we did something, it is not so we can  feel good
about what we have done. But, with the recent losses, the lack of  humanity we
have just experienced with negative posts, and the knowledge that we  can
help, that I am asking each of us to do a small gesture to help a member of
our
extended family.

If you know Tami I know you want to help. This is a gentle sweet lady that
never did anything to hurt anyone. If you don't know her, that would mean even
more, if you could find a space in your heart to help.

This is what she just sent to me, and if she can laugh now, we can honor
that by helping her.

Hi,
I went for my chemo today.They decided I needed a hour talk with  my
oncoligist ,2 nurses and my pain management person instead.Seems they  all
feel Im not doing well on this new chemo amd should stop it.(well it  did
cause sharp stabbing pain in a body part that is there anymore and made  me
think my bard port was trying to eat its way out and my other boob felt  like
id been shot at close range with buckshot)My hands and feet swelled till  I
looked like I was morphing into the incredible hulk and the worst by  far,was
my legs felt cut of at the hip only partly left so I could feel the  butcher
knives someone was sticking in them.oh and did I forget to mention  the white
blood cells went nuts and tried to push their way out my bones.3  days a
begged to just stop breathing!)
I cant imagine why they thik I may  want to stop this chemo...then out come
the numbers....at 5 yrs with whats in  me now chemo wise I have a 43%chance
of making it that long,If I stop the  taxomin?now I have 51% If I take the
tamoxifan(cuz my cancer is estrogen  positive)It takes me to 58%,or I can
have them reduce the dose on the killer  chemo and try to get through 6 more
treatments(4 hrs each) and boost my  percentile to 80%.I told them im not a
quiter and didnt want to ruin the  study I was in.
So My oncoligist reduced my chemo 20% and I went through with  it...although
scared to death.He plans to beat the pain to me and has already  started me
on 30 m oxycontin twice a day and the quick acting oxy every 2-4  hours as
needed with motrin 800,plus 300 mil of the neurontin 3 times a day  to numb
my nerves when they try to catch on fire and eat their way out of  my
skin..oh and  the 2ml of xanax and 10 ml of ambien at bedtime and a  protonix
so i dont get ulcers from all these pills!!!!!!Oh and cant forget my  3 blood
pressure pills and my antidepressants..which i think is a  plecebo!
Still think ill get through this Evan? Im beginning to have my  doubts.
lLove,
Tami,Duce ,Bum & Mephisto(whos #16 top living ROM sire  last year!)

I am sending Tami what I can today, please join me if you feel  able.  Her
address is Tami Howard 8100 W. St. Joseph Hwy  Lansing,  Michigan 48917.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together