[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Agricultural Sub Committee

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:16:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2005 11:03:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
What can  the AKC do about a puppy mill, other than refuse to  let them
register the puppies?  This just forces the puppy mill to  register  with the
UKC, or
other registry that has no enforcement  arm.  The AKC has  no way to stop a
puppy mill, as the law now  stands.

Well... first of all - define "puppy mill".  *I* have been called  a puppy
mill because, heaven forbid, I had three litters in one year AND (at the  time)
I had three different breeds (heavy sarcasm). Oh, and I didn't do every
"test" known to mankind before breeding.

But, aside from that... It isn't AKC's JOB to "stop puppy mills".   They are
a registry.

As for the truly SUB-STANDARD breeders... there are (or should be)  STATE
laws that will, and have stopped them.  In some cases those state  laws may
need
amending, and in MANY cases they need enforcing... but this is NOT  a federal
issue.

Ginger  Cleary, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order  to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one." Benjamin  Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)