[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Addicted to numbers and the Futurity Calendar

  • From: "Joan Fox" <campaigners@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:09:16 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Did you send this to:

board@xxxxxxxxx

?????????????

-------Original Message-------

From: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 12/01/04 10:30:22
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Addicted to numbers and the Futurity Calendar

Attached are some thoughts regarding the Futurity/Maturity Season I have
sent to the board along with the graphs and data supporting the ideas.
Please feel free to express yourself on either side of the issue.

----------------------
Following a thought regarding specialty show dates, I would like you all to
take a peek at the following charts. Several conclusions can be derived

AKC rule changes have allowed clubs to hold back to back shows. This appears
to have resulted in a convergence for the much desired multi show weekends
during the 2nd quarter when the Futurity/Maturities are held. A near 30%
increase in an already congested time period.

With this much competition for the "entries" during that quarter, clubs will
find it even more difficult to get large entries if they are not coupled
with a Futurity. I would even suggest the Futurities would suffer as well.

I would imagine even the handlers are loosing money, going to fewer shows(of
course they can compensate with rate hikes).

The other component I need to mention, is the afford-ability factor. Much
easier to use disposable income for this hobby of ours when it is spread out
over six months(or longer). As I'm sure you have experienced, Futurities are
2 - 3 times the expense of a normal specialty weekend.

Looking at the big picture, I would suggest there is a "condensation of the
quality factor" occurring as well. Our best animals are competing for the
highest honors heavily during these three months. Which makes it even more
difficult for the animals of slightly lower/lesser quality(although still
deserving) to win at all. This works against new folks in the breed,
particularly since they tend not to have top quality animals.

A fair criticism of this line of thinking would be that the months July and
august may not be preferred based on weather for the majority of the states.
I would counter with, that some of the most northern states could hold
futurities during this time period, although not desirous. Certainly late
August and September would be very acceptable.

I would suggest that the board consider expanding the Futurity season to
include the third quarter which I believe would spread these shows back out.
This of course would take some thought on how to overhaul the current system
and how dates are selected. The Parent Club may want to take a bit more
control of the dates, until the balance is restored in the show calendar. I
believe the PC club needs to have a serious discussion, and perhaps take
corrective action, and assist with the overall specialty show calendar. I
think the sport will continue to degrade to just the hard-core folks.(we may
be close to that now)

I would gladly engage in further discussion for those that have and interest
 shoot me your questions and comments.