[ SHOWGSD-L ] AT LAST, GOOD PRESS ON AB1634!

  • From: Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:37:08 EDT

The Orange County Register has been publishing Pro AB1634 articles,  but
Gordon Dillow's column this morning says it all.  Let him know how good  he is"

Dogs and cats raise passions

GORDON DILLOW
Register  columnist
_GLDillow@xxxxxxxx (mailto:GLDillow@xxxxxxx)
Dogs and cats can be really, really dangerous.
No, I don't mean that simply having a dog or a cat is  dangerous. What's
dangerous is writing about dogs and cats â?? as I found out a  couple weeks ago
when
I wrote a column about California Assembly Bill  1634.
AB1634, which is currently working its way through the  state Legislature,
would require almost every single dog and cat in California  that's older than
four months to be spayed or neutered. Exceptions would be made  for working
dogs and certain pure breed animals, but their owners would have to  get
special
"intact permits." Violators could be subject to a $500  fine.
The idea, of course, is to reduce the number of unwanted  dogs and cats that
are killed in shelters in California â?? which the bill's  sponsors say amounts
to about 800,000 animals every year. And in the column I  said that certainly
was a laudable goal.
But I also said that, in my opinion, the proposed law is  too broad and too
intrusive, that it would punish the majority of responsible  pet owners while
being ignored by the minority of irresponsible ones. I also  half-jokingly
suggested that people who abuse or abandon their dogs or cats  should be
forcibly
spayed or neutered for the greater good of the human gene  pool.
As expected, the column prompted a barrage of calls and  e-mails. Some people
agreed with me, some didn't â?? and some even suggested that  they wanted to
forcibly neuter me. I don't think they were serious, but just in  case, I went
out and bought some locking steel underwear.
And a number of people suggested that if only I would  visit the local animal
shelter, and see all the animals waiting to be  slaughtered, I would change
my mind.
So the other day I stopped by the Orange County Animal  Care Center â?? what
used to be called "the pound" â?? in Orange. And based on the  numbers, it's
not
exactly the charnel house that some proponents of AB1634 would  have you
believe.
Orange County Animal Care Services provides animal  control and/or shelter
services for about 2 million people in Orange County.  (Some cities have their
own animal control departments.) Based on dog ownership  statistics, those 2
million people probably own about 500,000 dogs.
Last year about 13,600 dogs wound up at the Animal Care  Center after being
caught as strays, dumped by their owners or whatever.  According to Animal Care
Services spokesman Ryan Drabek, about 4,000 of those  dogs were returned to
their owners, and another 7,000 or so were adopted.  Meanwhile, only 2,300 dogs
were euthanized â?? which is to say, killed â?? at the  Animal Care Center.
Yes, I know, it sounds awful to put the word "only" in  front of 2,300 dead
dogs. But most of those euthanized dogs were either severely  injured, sick or
too dangerous for adoption â?? and remember, every year in Orange  County tens
of thousands of dogs are tearfully euthanized by their owners  because they're
old and sick and in pain.
True, it's a grimmer story for cats, 8,000 of which were  euthanized at the
center last year. But most of those were either sick or feral  â?? that is,
wild â??
 and unsuitable for adoption.
Mind you, I'm not suggesting that there aren't too many  unwanted dogs and
cats, or that spaying and neutering your animals isn't a good  idea. But
according to the Humane Society of the United States, more than 70  percent of
owned
dogs and more than 80 percent of owned cats in America are  already spayed or
neutered â?? and I would guess the rate is even higher in Orange  County.
And in fact, there's already a law in Orange County that  penalizes pet
owners who don't sterilize their animals. A county dog license  (all dogs have
be licensed, but cat licenses are optional) costs $75 for an  "intact" dog and
just $21 for a spayed/neutered one. Unfortunately, it appears  that fewer than
half of the dogs in Orange County are licensed â?? which may put  the lie to my
earlier statement that most dog owners are responsible.
Still, it seems to me that if they enforced the dog  licensing law more
strictly it would have the same effect in Orange County as  AB1634 would have
â?? and
without nearly as much bureaucracy and governmental  intrusion.
Now, I should note that Judie Mancuso, who is  spearheading the mandatory
spay/neuter proposal, says it's unfair of me to only  consider Orange County
shelter euthanasia numbers, because the numbers in other,  more rural counties
are
far higher. She also says that AB1634 is "fiscally  sound, compassionate, and
morally and ethically correct. â?¦ We cannot allow this  (the killing of so
many animals) to keep going on."
Well, I certainly agree with the goal. Just not with  their solution.
If you'd like to comment on Assembly Bill 1634, pro or  con, go to
_www.legislature.ca.gov_ (http://www.legislature.ca.gov/)  and  click on
"Legislators
and Districts" to see who your Assembly person  is.
Meanwhile, I'll brace myself for more angry  calls.
And just to be on the safe side, I'll keep wearing that  locking steel
underwear.
Contact the writer: 714-796-7953 or _GLDillow@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:GLDillow@xxxxxxx)
viv (mailto:showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)