[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A question of a "delicate" nature

  • From: "Wendy Haddrall" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:23:52 -0500

awwwwww there is nothing like a family to retire into! I am happy for Lucy!

Over the years my "puppy buyers" have encountered problems like this. When
faced with that question my response has always been.

"This is a very intelligent breed, they are capable of learning a multitude
of things if a bit of time is spent teaching them. I always recommend that
they teach the dog the, off or leave it, command, first in the house with
treats and such on the floor and then outside. It is a very easy thing for
them to learn and for an adult does not take alot of time to teach it to
them. I then suggest that they apply that command to the offensive object,
this time being horse dung. In a very short time she should learn that the
dung is "off limits" and she will add it to her behavioural repetoire. This
will take some effort (but most things worth having take effort :-)) they
will need to go outside with her at first with a pocket full of treats and
reinforce the desired behaviour.

Wendy - Hellwigg Shepherds