[ SHOWGSD-L ] A grueling morning!

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:37:23 -0700

A grueling morning for me and my shepherd

I had a wonderful long walk with my GSD Koda this morning. It was nice
getting out in the beautiful AZ crisp air with him. I then got back to the
house to get my GS Stunner for her walk. I meet my friend Dana and her dog
Harry to walk with them. We had only walked about a block from my house then
stopping for a second to visit when a lady comes out of her house across the
street from us getting in to her car. But seconds from that her two kids
open up their house door again for whatever reason/s and their Pit Bull mix
dives out of the door and heads straight for my shepherd Stunner. Why my dog
and not Harry? This happened so fast I tried to stop the dog before it got
to Stunner. I took my walking stick and started to beat the dog as hard as I
could on top of its head. Nothing stopped it from biting at my shepherd. Now
Stunner is screaming in pain/freight and just trying to escape the dreadful
ugly Pit. Everything was happening so fast that all I kept doing was turning
in a circle to try and keep the dog from latching on to Stunner. All of this
time I keep beating the dog on its head that seemed to not affect the (&*%!
thing one bit. [sigh] My friend couldn't help me. In the blur of everything
I noticed some neighbors that had come out of their houses. They were not
even attempting to help us, which baffles me to no end??? The worse part the
two young children and then the mother to this dog were trying to stop the
dog from its attack. Nothing worked. It's so easy to tell someone do this or
do that but when it happens each case is always different. I hit the
aggressive dog one more time across its back as I now trip along side the
road and fall across a culvert into a ditch. It was so painful. And my dog
falls into the ditch with me. I didn't want let go of the leash because if
Stunner tried to get away from this dog I might not have been able to keep
up to them to save her. So all I could think about was to keep her with me.
Now I'm on the ground with my dog and that Pit comes in for more attacks. I
pick up my stick and start poking at its face until everything becomes a
blur and the dog is now some how gone from the scene. I can't tell you what
happened because I could hardly get myself up on my feet. There was blood on
my Stunner and I freaked out. Thank the good Lord the blood was either from
me or the ugly attacking Pit. I could see no wounds on my dog so far or
myself. But I hurt my back and my left side when I fell in the ditch. The
women with the Pit was trying to help me but at this time I wanted her to
stay away from me and I told her I wanted her ugly dog GONE from this world!
Long story shorter: I called the police. They came to my house. The whole
thing has been reported. The dog catcher went and got the dog. I had to go
to ER and get X-rays which thank heavens nothing is broken. But I'm in great
pain at this time. I couldn't see any wounds on my dog so I did a pretty
good job I guess keeping her from any serious bites. I pray my Stunner will
not be afraid of other dogs now because she was SO good with every dog she
has ever met and has done so well in her obedience training with each dog
we've worked with. If you all remember, I was attacked by a larger Pit Bull
earlier this spring I finally fought off with my walking stick. Why me all
of the time? I'm getting that boat Air Horn now for sure or an electric
shock whatever to carry with me. I don't want to be afraid of going for a
walk with my dogs. That is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Kathy
www.JoKaySedona.com <http://www.jokaysedona.com/>

P.S. The sad part about this was, the young girl about eight or so that
belonged to the Pit felt so sorry for Stunner when she lay in the ditch with
me hearing her say as we made it to our feet, "Oh poor pretty dog come
here!" Stunner went to the little girl putting her face into her chest
quietly just standing there as the little girl consoled her with soft pets
on her head - Now that made me cry.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html