[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A good dog is a good dog is a good dog

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx>, <Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:51:37 -0500

I'm going to put words in Randy's mouth when I say the definition of a "good
dog" is the dog that most closely meets the GSD Standard.  The Standard was
carefully crafted so the breed has the structure to gait and to work.  The
GSD was designed to herd the sheep all day without tiring, keep away the
wolves, and keep the shepherd company.

If there was a dog who perfectly met the standard (assuming all judges would
be fully knowledgable about the standard), the dog would always win.
However, there has never been a dog who perfectly meets the Standard, so the
differences come in the weight the Judge places on the areas where the dog
is lacking, either through personal preference or ignorance.  Our Standard
is specific about disqualifying faults, serious faults and less serious
faults but the relative weight within those isn't covered.  If you want a
challenge, go through the Standard and see which parts go under those 3
titles.  The Standard basically describes a well-tempered dog who covers the
most amount of ground with the least amount of steps.   "Any fault of gait
rather from the front, rear, or side is considered a serious fault".

The dog that most closely meets the Standard will not only win in the
conformation ring but also have a structural advantage in performance
events, particularly in herding and agility.

If you don't have a copy of the AKC GSD Standard, you might want to consider
getting one.  Seeing Banker gait is worth the price and you learn something
new every time.