[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Toga or Blue Jeans

  • From: Werner Sommers <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

 Below you can all see and read why so many of us at the GSDCof Wisconsin
  love Jane Kerner. One of the Crown Jewls of our club.
  <
  Jane i hope you will enjoy our National. I will stay home and enjoy my new
dog.
  He will be in the air and coming to Wisconsin very soon.
  Werner
  <
  My German Grossmutter's people came from Pomerania.

They fled Germany to escape the Prussian Union proposed by Frederick
 William III of Prussia in 1817.
(Never mind, it is a long story, but it was a matter of religious
 freedom).

Upon arrival in America's Dairyland, they formed the first confessional
 Lutheran congregation in the state of Wisconsin and named it Trinity
 Freistadt  Ev. Luth. Kirche.

Freistadt means "free state".

My Grossmutter and her Grossmutter both learned their catechism in a
 little house on Freistadt Road, and they learned it in German, English
 and Latin.

She always told me that knowing just a little Latin was important.

"There are a few Latin phrases that you will need to know and never
 forget, Liebchen," she opined.

And.......... 'Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare' ........is
 one such phrase."

Mercy, I thought, what on earth does that mean ??!!???

"Don't ask, but I will tell you anyway," she said, taking another sip
 of Schnapps.

"Sentio aliwuos togatos contra me conspirare".

......... means..........

"I think some people in togas are plotting against me."

"Mercy", I thought again......."Grossmutter has had too much Schnapps."

"Look out, Liebchen. Never trust a guy like Frederick William III of
 Prussia.........and never, never, never trust  people in togas who plot
 against you. Now repeat in Latin after me, again........"

"Sentio aliwuos togatos contra conspirare."

"Yikes, Grossmutter", I shrieked.  " Nobody wears togas in Germantown,
 Wisconsin."

She replied, "Well that's what makes a plot so difficult to uncover. If
 conspirators are not wearing togas, you can't you tell if they are
 plotting against you.............or not."

"Daddy, help, help", I shrieked.
"Your Mutti has had too much Schnapps."

Then my father said the *unthinkable*.
He said the most *unthinkable* thing.

He paused and said......."Grossmutter is wrong about this one
 thing............and just this one thing.........

It is true that people who plot against you wear togas.

Sooo.........If you don't see any togas, then you will know that there
 are no plots against you.

 Your  Grossmutter has been standing too close to the Kirchenglocken
 (church bells) for the last ten Sundays  ............ *and* I am going to
 hide the Schnapps.

And don't worry Liebchen; remember if you don't see anyone wearing a
 toga, there is no  plot."

What a relief !!!!!  No togas.......no plot !!!

I was *very* happy to learn that from my Dad.........

Now, when I go places and I *don't* see any togas....... I know that I
 am among friends.

So........... when we all pack our bags to go to the German Shepherd
 Dog Club of America National Specialty Show in Loveland.............

..........every body leaves their togas at home, right????

Pack your blue jeans instead.
:-)

Because we will all be together in one place, celebrating the most
 magnificent breed of dog on planet earth......... and we will celebrate and
 applaud our dogs and our friends: we will laugh a little and cry a
 little together .........because our togas are at home and because we
 share a profound and abiding love for the German Shepherd Dog.

Jane Kerner

Werner

Image German Shepherd Dogs
-home of-
BISS Am/Can Ch. Scher-Lo's Mr.Karizma HIC OFA h/e
http://imagegermanshepherds.com/

FareChase.