[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A First for me...BIS

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:55:49 -0400

Well, I won't tell the whole story, but after I sent that post, I thought
back on that day....I can remember every dog in the ring.  There was a
Shorthair, a Portuguese Water Dog (who was awful and never should have won),
a Dandie (same comment applies), a Toy Poodle, a Chow, and a Ridgeback.  The
Shorthair was a multiple BIS winner (who also won his National specialty
twice) and everyone knew I liked the dog...but the handler was so confident
of winning he just went too fast and the dog looked awful...I did give him a
Best later in the year, and the Poodle, the Chow, and the Ridgeback were
also top winners who all had numerous Bests to their credit.......
      the club was one my former husband had helped found, and I knew all
the members...when first approved to judge they'd asked me to do my first
Best for them...it took a few years, but I did.......
    A friend of mine brought me a coke just as I started to judge, and I
couldn't drink it in the ring, so I put it down.  After judging was over I
picked it up to get a drink and there was no coke in it at all...it was all
Bourbon...nearly killed me...........
        All my friends in the club and amongst the judges were betting on
who would go best, and almost all of them bet on the Shorthair.......I think
the final "pot" was something like $75.......funny, I can't remember who won
it.........maybe Joe Bradley (a former GSDCA member).......
    anyway, Michel will likely have as many memories of his first BIS
assignment, at least I hope he does....

   sorry to be boring.......
        Peggy