[ SHOWGSD-L ] 22-month-old intact GSD bitch w/ injured left hock

  • From: Robin Tinay Sallie <robinsallie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:07:44 -0400

Thank you everyone for you good wishes.  In an effort to keep both Blue
stimulated and happy in her cast for the next 12 to 16 weeks I had to
come up with a plan. I looked at every idea that was sent to me and
thought about what I could train on a lead, in a crate, on a mat or in
an exercise pen. I have been picking something to work on for a couple
of minutes every hour that I am at home and awake. And every potty
break is a training session.

Mainly I am using Sue Ailsby's training levels (
http://www.dragonflyllama.com then click on dogs) and some of Shirley
Chong's keepers ( http://www.shirleychong.com ) to guide me in
training. You will notice in the list of tricks that I am not putting
"Bark" on cue. I don't want to reinforce it. We are working on quiet.

I also have been moving Blue from a crate in the dinning room, to a
spot in the pantry where she can stiff Red over a baby gate, to an x
pen in the back yard, to a crate on the front porch. I also have a
crate in the upstairs dog room but I think she is too much of a klutz
to climb that many stairs just yet. If she gets better control of her
cast, I will add the upstairs to her rotation. And I may let her sleep
with me every once in a while.

She will not get to every spot every day but there will be variety.
When it cools off, she can also hang out in the crate car while I work.
Then we will take the show on the road and get all these things
generalized, I hope.

I have not started feeding her from Kong's, paper towel cores and brown
paper bags. That will start when she has to be home alone. I am off
this week. My spouse will work from home next week and likes to work in
the dinning room with Blue - instead of the office in our basement. I
have kept the raw beef rib, neck and knuckle bones coming. She also
enjoys macho stix.

We are both getting antidepressants to help with the stress of it all.
My other dog may need some as well. His life has revolved around
running and body slamming with Blue.

Blues training plan
-- pick up (as in let me pick you up)
-- nose touch to target / object (naming objects or just pointing) with
duration
-- nose touch to end stick with duration
-- nose touch to my hand with duration
-- paw touch to target / object (naming objects or just pointing) with
duration
-- paw touch to stick with duration
-- paw touch to my hand with duration
-- follow target stick
-- follow my hand
-- Husbandry - accept any type of handling
-- LLW to potty and back
-- Leash manners
-- Shirley's say please
-- Shirley's conditioned relaxer
-- Shirley's induced sleep
-- Shirley's Retrieve
-- Shirley's Recall redux
-- find Mine - Scent Discrimination
-- settle (lie down flat on side)
-- Take (shape a hold using wood, plastic, leather, metal)
-- Give (shape a give using wood, plastic, leather, metal)
-- Sit
-- Sit stay
-- Sit for exam
-- Down
-- Down stay
-- Zen
-- Go sniff
-- Sit at door
-- getting teeth brushed
-- Yes (same as click)
-- collar grab
-- ruff grab
-- urinate on cue on lead on any surface
-- defecate on cue on lead on any surface
-- Use a specific place in the yard as an outdoor bathroom
-- quiet (no bark) on cue
-- Ready (sit and look at me)
-- Taz (short for Tasmanian devil which is her nick name) look at me
and see what I will ask next
-- pronto (classically conditioned recall cue- come now and let me
touch you)
-- eat (clean you bowl immediately or it will be removed.)
-- drink (take a couple of lick from what I offer you)
-- mat go and stay until called or release
-- crate enter and stay in crate until told to leave with door open
-- Sits to leave crate. Walks out and sits again. (WALKS out instead of
bounding and spinning)
-- Look at cat then automatically look at me. (without barking)
-- Stand
-- Stand stay
-- Stand for exam
-- classically condition love of a head halter
-- classically condition love of a life jacket
-- classically condition love of a back pack
-- classically condition love of an elizabethan collar
-- classically condition love of a muzzle
-- classically condition love of nail grinder
-- classically condition attention to me when I sing twinkle twinkle
little star
-- classically condition attention to me when I wear a black wrist band
on my left wrist
-- auto watch me
-- Find it (treat dropped or hidden near the dog to teach her to sniff
for it)
-- Blue (look at me when I say your name)
-- Dogs (look at me when I say your dogs)
-- Easy (slow down)
-- Wait
-- Build a motivating toy
-- Build a desire to tug (laying down and sitting?)
-- One meal a day spread in a scent box
-- scenting (from training levels)
-- Ring bell with nose
-- Ring bell with paw
-- Roll over
-- Rub back on floor
-- Shake hands
-- other hand
-- Paw wack
-- Other paw wack
-- High Five
-- other high five
-- Wave
-- other wave
-- give a back paw
-- give other back paw
-- Cover your eyes
-- stretch - captured when she leave crate
-- bow
-- U-turn (Turn 180 back towards me and touch my hand)
-- here (come up behind me and touch what ever hand is presented)
-- safe (sit behind me. it is okay to look out between my legs)
-- kiss
-- smile - captured (mouth slightly open, ears back, eyes soft)
-- sing (howl)
-- look (the way I point)
-- Right (dog's)
-- Left (dog's)
-- Shaping games
-- Bang (play dead)
-- Cross paws - The dog is laying down, with one paw crossed over the
other
-- Chin (rest you chin in my hands so I can clean your tear ducts)
-- Pull on rope
-- Find/bring car keys
-- Push something with the nose
-- Sneeze
-- Stop / freeze on cue
-- stationary left heel
-- stationary right heel
-- Teach names for toys (Get or touch a toy by name)
-- Put Away The Toys
-- sit go wild sit
-- Be a wolf Bare teeth
-- Cock your head to one side
-- Growl
-- Nod your head
-- Rub muzzle on floor
-- Shake your head
-- Wet - Shake yourself
-- Wag tail
-- Yawn
-- Look cute (ears up)
-- Balance treat on the nose
-- toss up and catch a treat from nose

Robin Tinay Sallie, Akron, OH

Robin's Fast Red Dog, greyhound dog, b. 2/24/2003 "Red"
Alta-Tollhaus Lapis Lazuli, German Shepherd bitch, b. 10/28/2003 "Blue"