[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 16 in Litter

  • From: BEG48@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:01:48 EST

   I just had to reply to this one even thou I usually just read and take in
the information from all the other posts. This one kind of hit home.
    Years ago back in the late 70's My male , Satan, was bred to an all black
female, named Baby, 3 different times. In their first litter they had 13
puppies, all survived, in their second litter they had 15, with 12 surviving.
They
bred her to a different male and she did not conceive. They brought her back
and bred her to Satan and she had 17 puppies with 15 surviving. In their
second litter of 15 we had twins born in the same sack connected by the same
cord.
They were still born and she later laid on the smallest one. We are talking
about a near 100 pound female here. She was probably the largest ( but not fat)
female I have ever laid my eyes on. I know this is very unusual but I know
this to be fact that they were twins Because I whelped her and I took the
Stillborn pups to my vet to confirm they were twins as I had never before seen
this
happen.
       This female would only conceive from my male even thou her owners
tried to breed her to a couple other males. We used to joke about the fact that
they were committed to each other for life as Baby had been raised with Satan
before I got him.
       I have since had 13 in one litter out of my black female and her last
litter was 11. This is a lot of puppies for one female to feed ,raise , and
take care of let alone all the work that the human part must do to insure they
are all healthy and well adjusted once mom leaves. This is hard work , Period.
       Good luck and congratulations to this litter's owners.

Barb Gambill-St. Louis, Mo. Home of Victory Shepherds since 1966- where solid
blacks are # 1 and always will be.