[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 1/3RD of a Book Review

  • From: Karmasreva@xxxxxxx
  • To: Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:48:43 EST

On the whole I agree pretty much with your author's premise. But I do have to
urge caution when reading her statistics regarding pure-bred vs. mutt fatal
attacks.
    The vast majority of humane and animal control workers don't know an
Afghan from a Borzoi. At one point, I was the Animal Operations Manager for a
humane society. One morning during a meeting, I was told that we really needed
get the German Shepherds in the one holding room spay/nuetered so that we
could get them up on the adoption list. I said "What German Shepherds?" Several
dogs were then mentioned. The largest was 40lbs.(Yes, he was an adult). The
point about the Afghan/Borzoi came from a real incident.

    The point is, the official bite statistics that condemn our dogs and
others, are being compiled by people that have no authority or clue. Remember
if
the tail down, the ears are up, and the muzzle is black, it's a German Shepherd.

Kelly Malone
Karma German Shepherds/
Border Cheviot Sheep