[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 1/3RD of a Book Review

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:51:13 -0600

At 08:48 AM 2/13/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>On the whole I agree pretty much with your author's premise. But I do have to
>urge caution when reading her statistics regarding pure-bred vs. mutt fatal
>attacks.
>     The vast majority of humane and animal control workers don't know an
>Afghan from a Borzoi. At one point, I was the Animal Operations Manager for a
>humane society. One morning during a meeting, I was told that we really
>needed to
>get the German Shepherds in the one holding room spay/nuetered so that we
>could get them up on the adoption list. I said "What German Shepherds?"
>Several
>dogs were then mentioned. The largest was 40lbs.(Yes, he was an adult). The
>point about the Afghan/Borzoi came from a real incident.
>
>     The point is, the official bite statistics that condemn our dogs and
>others, are being compiled by people that have no authority or clue.
>Remember if
>the tail down, the ears are up, and the muzzle is black, it's a German
>Shepherd.
>
>Kelly Malone
>Karma German Shepherds/
>Border Cheviot Sheep

That is for sure & some are very sure of themselves.    Most people know that
I also have Norwegian Elkhounds, though I don't breed nor show them anymore.
One day the local humane shelter called me about a pure bred Elkhound that
was turned in.   Ok, so I go out there & low & behold, there was a relatively
decent Siberian Husky.   When I told the worker that this was not an Elkie but
a Husky,   she told me that I did not know what I was talking about because the
dog had blue eyes, he had to be an Elkie.     <grin>

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm