[sfvcca] Re: Repairing a pulled or torn muscle

  • From: MUMBAUER DC <19691951@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 06:15:00 +0000

What Grade of tear ? Grade 1:The muscle is stretched causing some small micro
tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do
all the right things.
Grade 2:There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes
approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.
Grade 3:This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture
of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in
some instances, surgery may be needed

To: sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sfvcca] Repairing a pulled or torn muscle
From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 02:04:50 -0400

I have a question.  What would you suggest a patient do who has pulled or
possibly torn a calf muscle, besides the usual rest, ice, compression and
elevation?  We tried EMS and we're going to try acupuncture.  Any other
suggestions.  The calf is quite swollen and painful and it's a week old.

Thanks,

Dr. Ben Griffes