[sfclub] Re: for everyone who, like me, still uses Windows 7

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sfclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 18:43:18 -0400

Well, media on which information can be stored may be fragile. On the other hand, if you think about it, it is quite amazing that a platter with magnetized iron on it spinning at 5400 revolutions per minute, or faster, can keep on doing that for many hours a day for several years. But fragile as the media may be, it is also easier than ever to make copies of information, which mitigates the fragility of any one copy.
So progress is made.
I also liked WordPerfect 5.1. But companies go out of business, things change. Not all changes are good, but overall, I would contend that most are for the better.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: David F
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 6:14 PM
To: sfclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sfclub] Re: for everyone who, like me, still uses Windows 7

Never has there been a time when so much information has been available and been so fragile. Software goes obselette, think WP5.1, which holds the majority of a booklist I have, think ASAP vs. Jaws, think older equipment, a 486DX4 with a 426 meg hard-drive and maybe 16 meg of ram that you had to use something called High DOS to make work because above 640 k DOS got weird. And 14.4 k BAUD rate