[SeniorTech] Re: question about retirement insurance

  • From: "Jerry Taylor" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:20:31 -0500

Brenda...

You're fortunate that your district is going to give you $5,000 a year
towards your insurance. My district (Greece, NY) is only giving me about
HALF that (approx. $200/month). I opted to continue with my current group
plan through the district (it includes my wife), which means I have to kick
in an additional $500/month for medical and another $100/month for dental. I
looked into getting my OWN separate insurance (individual), but the cost was
astronomical.

For me, anyway, health insurance is the single most expensive thing we have
to pay for in retirement. In contrast, I have friends (who retired from
OTHER districts) that have their health insurance completely paid for for
LIFE. (Wow, they sure knew how to hammer out a CONTRACT, didn't they??)

Hope this helps.

Jerry
www.seniortech.us