[SeniorTech] Re: Question on downloads

  • From: jerrytaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:08:02 -0500 (EST)

Bob...

YouTube plays its videos by "streaming" them. That is, it sends them to your
computer "slowly" and starts playing the BEGINNING of the video as soon as it
receives it. Then as its playing the beginning parts of the video, it's trying
to receive the next section, etc, etc. The problem is, if your internet
connection is too slow to receive "enough" of the video, your computer plays it
faster than it can receive it. Once it "runs out" of video, it has to WAIT
until more of it loads before it can continue.

Not much you can do, other than perhaps pay for a faster internet connection,
or maybe try looking at the video at 4:00AM. <grin>

One "trick" (as you already noticed), is to "pause" the video and WAIT until
the whole video loads BEFORE trying to play it. (I do that sometimes. I go work
on something else then come back and play it after it's completely loaded.)

Hope this helps.

BTW, changing from 240p resolution to a HIGHER resolution (such as 360p) will
actually SLOW DOWN your computer rather than speed it up.