(no subject)

  • From: "Julia Shade" <jshade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:23:43 -0500

To: All Speech Communication Faculty

From: Julia Shade

Re: Speech Communication Instructional Group Meeting Minutes for Mar.
17, 2005

Attending: Donna Acerra, Bill Bly, Terry Male, Cathie Grozier, Rebecca
Dean, Jim Berry, Julia Shade

Donna began by pointing oput that we still have money remaining in the
instructional materials budget. Please let Donna know if you need and
consumable items.

** REMINDER: There is a video camera in CC 235 and in CMUN 140, locked
in the cabinets.

Next Donna distributed copies of the challenge exam. She asked that all
speech communication faculty review the exam and give Donna their
feedback. Does the exam ask questions that are independent of our text?
The exam is also available on the SCIG forum.

**Please review the exam and give Donna your feedback.

Bill then gave an update on his mentoring partnership with Lynette. They
worked on the online template for the speech communication online course
as well as the instructor forum. Lynette spearheaded creating an online
component for on-campus speech communication classes. **Donna has asked
her to demonstrate this at the next SCIG meeting. Bill also handed out a
list of mandatory assignments for speech communication.

Donna advised up our goal to assess our outcomes each semester. Today we
focused on the critical thinking outcome. Are we meeting this outcome?
Each person present shared their strategies for teaching critical
thinking. Cathie told us she includes critical thinking questions with
each assignment. She will send a copy of her AV assignment to Donna. We
then discussed what strategies each of us used to ensure our students
ask good interview questions.

Donna reminded us that this semester's speaker's forum is fast
approaching. We can only feature 7 speakers, so contact Donna with any
great speeches as soon as possible. All speeches should be 7 minutes or
less.

**Contact Donna about students for the speaker's forum by April 21st.

Donna asked is anyone had found a promising textbook. She has found one
she thinks will suit us. The book is not yet published, however. She
will keep us posted.

Finally, we discussed the possibility of moving our final SCIG meeting
of the semester, as Donna has conflicting obligations on that date. The
meeting was changed to Thursday, May 5 at 11:00.

**The next meeting of the Speech Communication IG will be on May 5 at
11:00AM in CC235.