[sbe104_toledo] Off Topic Question

  • From: "Fred Vobbe" <w8hdu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sbe104_toledo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:55:21 -0400

SBE Chapter 104 Toledo Ohio Freelist SBE104_Toledo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I produce a magazine for the blind called The DX Audio Service.  On
this month's magazine we're talking about the loss of digital media,
which has been referred to as "laser rot" by some.  Here's the initial
story.

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11442361";

Or "http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub148abst.html";

My question to the group; what technologies are out there that provide
long term storage?  Is there a viable, long term media for storage
that is semi-indestructible?

Just as a side note, as many of you older guys will remember, in the
70s there was a move to back-coated tapes.  I find it odd that tapes
like Scotch 111 or 150 last far longer than Scotch 212 or Ampex 456.
Add to that, the companies that made reel to reel decks are starting
to phase out repair of legacy decks.

An article on Yahoo News suggested that recordings of radio's early
years, 1920 - 1923 are lost because the Library of Congress
transferred the media to digital, and it has since failed.

SBE Chapter 104 Toledo Ohio List Server

Proud Sposor of SBE 104:
Sierra Video
Dave Goldsmith 419-872-9998