[sarcmembers] Re: IC-736 and the TE Systems amplifier...

  • From: "John Maetta" <j.maetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:24:16 -0800

Today is a great day to keep dry, listen to the 40 meter swap net on 7.240MHz
and work on radio gear.

I opened the TE Systems amp and discovered the T/R and RF Sense relays and
circuits are working, but the amp continues to draw 15amps after PTT is
removed.  The o'scope then revealed that the amp starts to oscillate when PTT
is asserted and will not stop oscillating until power is removed.  The amp has
turned itself into a 100W noise generator.
The noise emitted by the oscillations drowns out the swap net. :)

Troubleshooting detected that one of the four MRF-247 final transistors, Q3, is
the culprit. With Q3 disabled, the amp keys, draws 2 amps bias current and then
current drops to ~0 when PTT is removed, just like it is supposed to.

If any of you have one in your junk box, please let me know.  Or we can order
one.

Here is what we need to repair the amp:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/motorola/MRF247.pdf

I also need some wide solder wick (1/4" or wider) to help remove the transistor
from the amp. All I have is the narrow wick.

The other option is to leave Q3 disabled and run the amp at reduced power out.

73

John
N6VMO