[sac-forum] chiggers

  • From: "Wes Edens" <edensw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:34:18 -0700

I haven't had to deal with chiggers in a long time, but growing up in the
Ozarks they were quite a problem.  Flowers of sulfur--as someone mentioned
in a recent meeting--is a very effective chigger repellant.  Better than
Deet.   It smells of rotten eggs, so it can repel unwanted people as well.

I can't remember ever having a problem with chiggers, ticks, etc.  if I
remembered to dust my shoes (yes, we wore them on occasion), socks, and
lower pant legs.

I'm sure it's hard to find in stores now, but it's readily available on the
web for around 50 cents per ounce.  I just bought some.   Look for powdered
sulfur or sublimed sulfur, as "flowers of sulfur" turns up mostly antique
jars and cans.