[sac-forum] Re: T-Bird Star Party

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:03:55 -0700

Steve,

Indeed!

Highly promoted!  Someone hears about the SAC T-Bird star party and
goes to the SAC web site to find out more. Dead end. Sure if they
searched through the calendars they might find it listed, but little
information and certainly no promotion.

Why didn't one of the board members put together a web page like
previous years. This is what surprised me. This could be a very big
plug for SAC as it has been in the past.  This is a local event
designed for the public and large numbers of the public.

It was sad that when I tried to give several people a URL for the
star party, it did not exist. I forwarded them Jacks e-mail about it.
You would be surprised at how many people, non-club, visit the SAC
web site looking for information. All you had to do was ask. I would
have been happy to develop a web page for the SAC site. What is the
purpose of the club board if not to keep track of things and ask for
help when needed?

Why didn't YOU check the SAC web site to see if the star party was
being properly promoted? Chastising me for asking about this 4 days
before the event is hardly leadership material. Pass the buck!

BTW, Jack Jones does an excellent job on this, but he needs the
support and leadership of the SAC board.

Jeff

At 09:42 -0700 05/07/2008, Steve D. wrote:
Jeff,
   As Jack mentions, this event is highly promoted through the local
media and Parks and Recreation in the area.  SAC has been doing this
party for as long as anyone can remember.  The fact is, there _is_ an
announcement on SAC's web page.  It's not a single page with all the
details, but there are many other places to get that information.
  Seeing as how SAC has sponsored this event for so long, it may not
be a bad idea to assemble a separate web page for it, as you suggest.
But as Peter points out, suggesting this 4 days before the event is
not very helpful, and chastising, or even just chiding those involved
isn't very constructive either.
   I would propose we go ahead and make a page for next year's event
as you suggest, and make it live as soon as we know when it will
occur.  Peter and Jack?  I imagine the arrangements and details will
be the same from year to year, and only the date will change.
   As for the GCSPNR, I was compelled to move as quickly as I could,
since many past and potential volunteers had been told the event
would not take place at all.  What if you gave a star party and
nobody came?  Even so, that page needs refinement, as does the event
coordination itself.  I'll learn more this year and that will be
reflected in the page for next and so on.
   Jeff, we all value your volunteer spirit.  You've been stalwart in
showing up for the public and we thank you.  If you have suggestions
on how to improve such events, or the notifications for them, by all
means speak up.  But earlier is better and more constructive.
   Thanks.

Steve Dodder
President, Saguaro Astronomy Club
Director, Stone Haven Observatory
fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman

 Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 21:11:19 -0700
 To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 From: phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: [sac-forum] Re: T-Bird Star Party

 Jack,

 What prompted me is I have several people interested and I wanted to
 point them to a web page on the star party. There is none.

 Jeff

 At 19:16 -0700 05/06/2008, Jack Jones wrote:
 >If you want more on the website, talk to the website administrator.
 >I don't see much purpose in more than an announcement in the Events
 >section calendar and main page. Everyone knows it's coming by the
 >website, the Newsletter, the meetings, and the announcements I sent
 >out in mail list email at the end of April and again today. But that
 >goes mainly pretty much only to Club members and anyone visiting our
 >website. Publicly I've contacted the Peoria Times, the Desert
 >Advocate, Foothills Focus, New Times, and AZ Republic. Glendale
 >Parks promotes the event in their mail-out newsletter and Park
 >notices.
 >
 >Jack Jones
 >Phoenix AZ
 >Telescoper@xxxxxxx

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED? Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.
<http://joinred.spaces.live.com?ocid=TXT_HMTG_prodredemoticons_052008>Check
it out!

--
Jeff Hopkins