[sac-forum] Saddle Mountain

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:36:32 -0700

OK, finally getting a chance to report in. Last night there were about 9
folks at Saddle Mountain. The night was clear although a light breeze was
blowing until about 2200. The breeze kept the seeing down to about a 6,
while the transparency was a 7.

My plan was to work through AJ's Call for observations in Orion, Which
turned out to be a quicker exercise than planned as there were several
objects that were visible in he same FOV.  After finishing that, I spent the
rest of the night revisiting some favorite objects, Including NGC'S 1808 &
1792 in Columba (A nice pair of galaxies that will fit in a 1 degree FOV.),
M44, NGC 2903 among others.

One new object that has eluded me for a while was finally captured: R
Leporis, A carbon star in Leporis (Duh!) It was nice bright red with a
slight twinge of orange.

I packed up about 2330 and beat the moon home.

This being my first trip to this site, I'll say for a close in site, I liked
it. While you could see headlight from cars on Dobbins road, they did not
intrude on the site or observing. The clearing itself is quite large and
will easily hold a lot more cars than we had last night.

Here's looking ahead to next weekend.

Clear Skies

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews,