[sac-forum] Re: SAC Maps (comments and corrections wanted)

  • From: Paul Dickson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:44:18 -0700

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:50:16 -0700, Steve Coe wrote:

> I use 5 Mile Meadow because it is the name we created and it is the way most
> people who have observed there call the site.  We can certainly mention in
> the text that it is equal to the map name you gave, but I think that most
> observers would like to stay with the name as given the first two years we
> traveled there.

Having the wrong name for the site makes it that much more difficult for
the site coordinator to communicate with those outside the club,
specifically the Forest Service and the porta-pottie rental.  The name
doesn't really matter to club members as long as the directions are good,
otherwise no one would have showed up at the first 5 Mile Meadow event.

We seem to name our star parties after the site.  This year we had the 5
Mile Meadow star party at the Antennae site, because that's how the
budget was approved by the club. :-)  Next year I think I'll call it the
"Late Summer Star Party" since the club is WAY wimpy for a real "To Heck
with the Monsoon Star Party", be it rain or a closed forest. :-)

        -Paul