[sac-forum] Re: --[AZ-Observing]-- Re: Good Seeing Predicted for Tonight

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:33:25 -0500

Tim,

It's a Schaefer mount that I bought from an Astromart seller in New Mexico.

http://www.cerritos.edu/ladkins/Web%20Page/Articles/Bill_Schaefer/Billpage.htm

Bill Schaefer lived in Southern California, where he sold 40 equatorial mounts
in his life.  They have the most basic synchronous motors and drive correctors,
so you do not get amenities such as GO-TO or scripted operation with them.
What I did get is stability that is as good as a Paramount or an A-P 1200 for
about 20% of the price.  Lynn Blackburn more recently purchased a fixer-upper
Schaefer mount at a rock-bottom price.  And unlike me, Lynn knows how to fix
things up.

Tom