[sac-board] FW: Re: Star Party Liability

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:07:52 -0600

This is from Chuck Dethloff, who runs the Oregon Star Party with his wife
Judy.  It is on National Forest land.  The 2003 star party had 900
attendees.

I didn't think of the Astronomical League angle.  I have to admit that I'm
not the biggest fan of the AL, but this is a service they provide for our
money.

Speaking as an outsider to the Board, it sure seems to me like SAC's
treasury is reaching an uncomfortably high level, begging either a
reduction in dues or a purchase of something for the benefit of the club.
$450 doesn't sound like a lot for insurance.  It seems like additional
liability (if it's even required) might be in SAC's interests.

As for gathering more star party data, I thought Rick T. was on a
worldwide "club officers" mainling list.  I joined it for a while, but
found that much of posting was press releases, and very little of the
discussion actually had to do with club matters.  Perhaps a query to that
list would generate some input for us.

Tom

BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE -------

From: telmor@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tpolakis@xxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: Star Party Liability

Hi Tom,

We are back in Minnesota now with my folks. Missed the transit due to
clouds the other morning unfortunately.

OSP has talked about waivers and gotten different opinions, even from
lawyers. Some say that we should do it, some say that it is not worth the
paper it is written on. Judy and I have chosen not to add one to OSP
registration form.

I am forgetting the exact amounts of our liability insurance, but can
check when we return to Portland in about ten days. That amount is what
the Forest Service has required us to have, and it is a fairly substantial
amount. Judy thinks it might be about $1 million liability. It costs about
$450 per year. Again, I can check for exact numbers when we return from
our trip.

The Astronomical League provides access to liability insurance, your club
might look into that. We use a private vendor through our home insurance
agent.