[sac-board] April board meeting minutes....finally

  • From: "Joe Macke" <joe01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Board" <SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:14:31 -0700

Sorry this took so long to get together, pesky work and all...

Saguaro Astronomy Club
Minutes of Board Meeting
April 2, 2004

The meeting was called to order by Thad Robosson at 0135UT.

Attendees:  Thad Robosson, Jack Jones, Dave Fredericksen, Al Stiewig, A.J.
Crayon, Joe Macke, Paul Dickson, Steve Coe, Joe Goss, Rick Tejera, Peter
Argenziano

1. A.J. Crayon reported on the Messier Marathon.  He had received an email
from a person in Florida who had heard that we held the marathon and wanted
to know how to get a certificate.  Apparently he didn't know that attendance
at the event is mandatory.

2. A.J. said that no one had turned in a check-off sheet late to either
Jennifer Keller or Cheryl Gambardella.

3. Paul Dickson requested that the announcement of the availability of the
electronic version of the newsletter wait until the hard copies had actually
been mailed.  A short discussion ensued, including the point that one of the
benefits offered to the members to encourage them to subscribe to the
electronic version was early delivery.  The board voted not to change the
newsletter publication schedule.

4. A.J. said that the Deep Sky group would not meet until further notice.
Insufficient interest in having meetings is the reason.

5. Thad initiated a discussion of how to invigorate the novice group.  An
idea was proposed to have a novice group meeting in the parking lot during
the general meeting breaks.  This could possibly be coordinated with having
the meeting speaker present their talk at the start of the meeting (allowing
sufficient darkness for observing.)  Steve said he would coordinate with
Jennifer to organize something.

6. Jack Jones suggested that we sponsor the Clear Sky clocks used by the
club.  Sponsoring clocks gives them preference in updates.  One dollar gives
a clock update preference for seven days.  Jack suggested we sponsor the
Cherry Road and Flat Iron clocks for the times we are using those sites.
The board approved this suggestion.  jack said he would take care of the
details.

7. Thad reported that he had received a request from a member for an
accounting
of the proceeds of the sale of the Holmquist collection donation. The board
voted unanimously to not undertake the effort for the following reasons:

a) The donor did not make a specific request for accounting of any proceeds
at the
time of the donation, nor has the donor contacted the club in the several
years since
the donation for an accounting.

b) The means to collect, verify, and accurately reconcile such information
regarding this does not exist due to the length of time and large number of
individual transactions that took place.

c) The board agreed unanimously that the matter was incontrovertibly closed
with the vote(s) to 1) donate all monies in scholarship fund (regardless of
origin) to the Challenger center, and 2) close the scholarship fund and
scholarship commitee.

The meeting adjourned at 0205UT.