[sac-board] Re: A concern, and maybe a question for the FAQ...

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:18:51 -0700

Mr. President,

And it's only your first month, and you see the things the president has to
worry about!  :-)  I think in the past what we did was make a big deal about
how it is a "Special Event", and advertised and posted as much as we could
to get the word out. Kind of like when we had a special general meeting at
the ASC planetarium away from GCU. Even then, after massive advertisement
and even pre-posting at the meeting room at GCU, there was someone who
didn't get the word.

But you are right, you can never tell for certain if anyone will show up,
esp if iffy skies show their ugly head, then what do you tell someone? If
you see a cloud, stay home? I think Flatiron at third qtr always seems to
have someone there, just as Vekol always seems to have someone there. So
unless you want to change the Club star party to Vekol to up the odds,
you'll never be sure unless your Club has a "Chief Observer" and it's his
job (responsibility) to be there or find someone who will sub for him.

Jack Jones
Public Events
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

> Hey All,
> The newletter, and even in the meeting,  it was announced that the SAC
star party was at Flatiron.  Saturday after 12 noon, I got 2 seperate calls
asking if anyone was going to Flatiron, because they didn't see anyone post
about going there.  Taking advantage of a late moonrise and good weather
myself, I did not know anyone going to Flatiron, so I opted to give
directions to Sentinel instead so that these folks would definately not be
alone.  I don't know if they made it, but you can see what the trouble is.
If I were looking to the club for a star party, and the President of that
club couldn't tell me for certain that someone would be at the site that the
club had appointed for that party on that date, I'd be a little put out.  I
think it reflects poorly on the club.