[sac-board] A concern, and maybe a question for the FAQ...

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:21:41 -0700

Hey All,
The newletter, and even in the meeting,  it was announced that the SAC star
party was at Flatiron.  Saturday after 12 noon, I got 2 seperate calls asking
if anyone was going to Flatiron, because they didn't see anyone post about
going there.  Taking advantage of a late moonrise and good weather myself, I
did not know anyone going to Flatiron, so I opted to give directions to
Sentinel instead so that these folks would definately not be alone.  I don't
know if they made it, but you can see what the trouble is.  If I were looking
to the club for a star party, and the President of that club couldn't tell me
for certain that someone would be at the site that the club had appointed for
that party on that date, I'd be a little put out.  I think it reflects poorly
on the club.

Two immediately obvious solutions to this....either
1)  Make sure that someone representing the club will be there on the dates
that we announce.

OR

2) Change the announcement to reflect where the club will be.

Either one could be accomplished with a little pre-planning.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal about this than I should, but I do think it
looks bad on the club for this to happen and I'd like to explore possibilities
to correct this.

Now, a possible question for the FAQ....

Q)  Why do get so hostile when I call you an "astrologer"?
A)  Because astrology is an art prescribing to beliefs based on fear,
superstition, romantic ideals, and other inane non-factual models.  Astronomy
is a hard science based on fact, logic, and observation.  The difference is so
great that it is an insult to be thought of as being in the same league as an
"astrologer".

Feel free to change the wording, but I think that it may be a good FAQ question.

Thad