[ryerson_index] The NSW Probate Index

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 22:11:18 +1000

Some of you more eagle-eyed indexers may have noticed a new source appear a couple of weeks ago on the Coverage Page - the NSWPI.

When we found this source (and it's a beauty!) a few weeks ago, we tossed up the idea at committee level - do we add the entries to Ryerson, or do we just add a link to the index and let users search it themselves? The unanimous decision was to add the records to Ryerson.

Our logic was that, no matter how hard we tried, we could never expect to index every notice published in a NSW paper, or listed on a NSW FD's website. But the NSWPI records the name, date of death, and last residence of roughly two-thirds of the deaths occurring in NSW each year - around 35,000 - 40,000 names. That is a major increase in our coverage for NSW.

Additionally, a check of the index to notices published in the SMH shows a heavy bias towards Anglo-Saxon names. This is not representative of the ethnic mix of the NSW population, whereas the NSWPI is a much better representation.

The NSWPI is the gold standard among state probate websites. It is the only one which allows searching by date of submission, and the only one to provide a simple download procedure. This makes obtaining a daily file of data from the NSWPI an exceptionally easy process - think 10 minutes for a month of daily files.

The data as supplied from the NSWPI does require a small amount of tweaking before we can load it into Ryerson. Again, 10 minutes is the benchmark - it is simple to tweak a daily file of around 150 entries into the required format in less than 10 mins.

Paul Kean has written a very neat little program which takes the tweaked file of NSWPI data and converts it into a .txt file which can be loaded straight into Ryerson.

The whole process has been documented on the "Resources for Indexers" page under the heading of "Special Projects". There are two files there - a document setting out the Why and How, and a video (pretty bad, but the best I could do as Spielberg was unavailable!) showing the process in action.

This is where YOU come in.

I have a dream that during 2022, we could add the entire NSWPI to Ryerson.

The period covered by the NSWPI is from 21 Jan 2013 to date. I have already added this source to my daily list of downloads, and have 2022 covered, so there remains about 7 weeks short of 9 years to be done. That's about 450 weeks, with a week taking roughly one hour to download and tweak. Between us, we should be able to rustle up 450 hours in the next 8 months, surely.

If you are interested in helping out with what will probably be the most satisfying Ryerson project of 2022, please have a look at the document and video on the Resources page, and then head for the Current Indexers spreadsheet to book your slot <g>

John.