[ryerson_index] Re: Minor indexing queries

  • From: "Bill" <oldboybill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 21:56:26 +1100

Dear Lindsay,

We have missed your contribution. Welcome back

As far as possible we follow the instructions.

There are of course times when we have to bend the rules a bit <vbg> because Funeral Directors haven't read our instructions and comply to make it easy.

As indexers mentor feel free to email me any time.

We try to follow what the Geographical Names Board have approved as a place name and this is one time to bend the rules a bit because they do not use Mt, but Mount. What is in the Postcode Book is usually what the GNB has approved, as a shortcut. Pt becomes Port as another.

Regards, Bill

I've recently started indexing again after a long break, so have been going through the instructions pretty carefully. That has resulted in some minor queries:

* birth details -- the instructions say, eg, "late of Sydney, (born 17 Jun 1943 Melbourne)". A location search shows that this date is more commonly indexed as 17JUN1943 or 17 June 1943 than 17 Jun 1943 -- I prefer what is shown in the instructions, but does it matter?

---
https://www.avg.com