[ryerson_index] Re: Entering proper given name where nickname used

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 22:05:50 +1000

Craig,

No, you can't.

If you were indexing the notice on the day it was published, you wouldn't know what the next day's notice would say.

So to be consistent, we index only what is published.

There are hundreds of similar entries already in Ryerson, with names like Fred, Steve, Bill - because that's what the notice said. And when indexing just that notice, we can't assume they were really Frederick, Steven or William - because parents did actually call their kids Fred, Steve and Bill.

John

Hello

I have a notice on one day, let's say Stevie SMITH. I know from the next day's notices that his real name is/was Steven SMITH.

"Stevie" wouldn't be picked by a search for Steve. Can I enter the Steven as additional information? And, if I can, do I enter it as:

Name: SMITH, Stevie [Steven]

or

Name: SMITH, Stevie
Prev name 1: SMITH, Steven