Re: naive but quite precise questions about the relation between "rumpkernel" and "netbsd"

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 19:28:40 +0000

On 20/04/18 16:49, yarl-baudig@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:> I saw that you are the only contributor on src-netbsd. I am not sure

about the complete process in "updating" src-netbsd even though it is described in checkout.sh. I understand that the goal is to avoid local patches but maybe it is not always possible. Right? I am not confident enough with rumpkernel nor netbsd to try that right now. Maybe in the future. I already looked (quickly) at the archive.

Local patches are always possible to avoid. Avoiding them serves two purposes: 1) the patch author is not outsourcing the maintenance of their laziness to someone else down the line 2) if you trust NetBSD, you trust src-netbsd since you can get a binary result from a diff.

Sure, the rule isn't always convenient short-term, but everyone looking for short-term convenience can do it on their own forks. Who knows, maybe those forks will be popular, given the apparent appeal of doing something in 10min and then spending 1min per week, as opposed to spending 12min and then 1min per year.