Re: future directions for a unified rumprun

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:01:33 +0000

On Feb 26, 2015 8:56 PM, "Antti Kantee" <pooka@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Now that we hopefully have a mailing list again, I'll try to pick this
unification work up.

> I didn't hear anyone screaming "no!", so let's move forward.  I think the
only "flag day" part is changing the repo.  All rumprun stacks can live in
their own subdirectories for now, and slowly be merged.  It should be much
simpler if they're in the same repo.

> Does anyone know of a smart way to unify two repos with git?  Do I need
to replay all commits into the new repo?  Or do we just say "for changes
before date X, look into $otherrepo"?  Thoughts?

You can merge repos with histories. I have done it so rarely that I can't
tell you how but the functionality exists so it is better to use it then
you can at some point delete the old repos.