Re: EC2 launch script

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:04:36 +0000

On 23/07/15 13:17, Andrew Stuart wrote:

Hi Antti,

I’m afraid I’m out of steam for tonight. The script is written but it hasn’t
been run even once yet - I need to run it and debug it and make it work. It
definitely won’t work right now as it hasn’t been run even once.

For context, in an earlier private communication Andrew was telling me he'd send a draft of the ec2 launch script before hitting the sack tonight.

It’s copied from the MirageOS guys and hacked severely to suit our purposes.

Importantly, it must be run from an EC2 instance - it won’t work from outside
EC2 and there’s no way to do so unfortunately.

So the idea is that I launch some "control" instance (e.g. Ubuntu) on EC2, and then I can run the script?

I wonder if the script should be split into separate ec2-prepare and rumprun parts.

We still have a lot of work to do to figure out the proper ways to implement the rumpbake-rumprun part of the system. But for now, unless explicitly solving the usage from a global perspective, let's cram things into the existing model, regardless of if they look a bit silly. That'll make things easier to fix down the line.

Anyway, let us know when the simplest version of the script is working, them we can figure out how to split it up.

Minor comment on comments:
=== snip ===
# remove the mountpoint
${SUDO} rm -rf ${MOUNTPOINT}
=== snip ===

I know that "rm -rf $MOUNTPOINT" removes $MOUNTPOINT. What I don't know is why you're doing that, which is what the comment should explain.

thanks!
- antti