Re: EC2 launch script

  • From: Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:49:31 +0200

On Thursday, 23.07.2015 at 14:04, Antti Kantee wrote:

It’s copied from the MirageOS guys and hacked severely to suit our purposes.

Importantly, it must be run from an EC2 instance - it won’t work from
outside EC2 and there’s no way to do so unfortunately.

So the idea is that I launch some "control" instance (e.g. Ubuntu) on EC2,
and then I can run the script?

There is an "ec2-import-volume" command which can take a local disk image
and upload it directly as an EC2 volume. See here:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/CommandLineReference/ApiReference-cmd-ImportVolume.html

If that works as advertised then we shouldn't need an existing EC2 instance
to run the script on. As far as I can tell from a quick read of the script
it's not doing anything "special" that can't be done on a local machine
using the EC2 tools.