[rsc] Meeting with Lisa Cremin, Metropolitan Atlanta Art Fund

  • From: "Carolyn Morris" <carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:56:56 -0500

Greetings all,

I would like to thank each member in the Atlanta Metro Rhizome particularly,
who sent letters to support my visit with Lisa Cremin, Executive Director
for the Metropolitan Atlanta Art Fund (MAAF).  My meeting was this afternoon
and was productive as far as meetings go.  Many of you are aware that ROOTS
received $50,000 over two years from MAAF to fund an administrative
assistant position.  Unfortunately, those funds have run out for the
position and we won't be eligible to apply for another such grant until
2010.

One of the concerns we had was that we might be penalized for not being able
to sustain the administrative assistant position beyond the two-year
funding.  This no longer need be a concern, according to the MAAF we are not
the first grantee to not be able to sustain funding beyond their funding
support.  Nonetheless, we are encouraged to have this position filled before
we consider reapplying to them for future funding.

While we are eligible for the MAAF Toolbox Grant, a grant that funds things
like expert consultation, executive training, board development and
organizational skill enrichment; according to Ms. Cremin, our application is
not going to be seriously considered by their board until we make a strong
case for how other regional funders are supporting Alternate ROOTS.  The
MAAF board in a sense has issued a challenge to Alternate ROOTS, and Ms.
Cremin expressed her staff's willingness to help ROOTS meet it by offering
to write letters of support and/or make phone calls if necessary.  Once
ROOTS proves funding from other sources within the Southeast, other than
Atlanta, Georgia, MAAF will take serious our future funding requests.

Overall, my meeting with Lisa Cremin was good!  I left with an overwhelm
sense of the respect MAAF has for the work we do and for the national
support we continue to garner. However, I received a clear message that they
want Alternate ROOTS to diversify the organization's regional funding
portfolio to prove that their money is not the only "regional" money
supporting our work.

Carolyn Morris
Executive Director
Alternate ROOTS
1083 Austin Avenue, NE
Atlanta, GA  30307
404-577-1079 [W]
404-577-7991 [Fax]
carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.alternateroots.org

"Creativity is food for the artistic soul. Never stop feeding your soul."

-- Carolyn Renee